The Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman provides aggressive federal criminal defense to clients facing serious charges throughout Southern California. If you are facing federal criminal charges, it is essential to work with an attorney who knows federal criminal law and has experience in federal court.
Being charged with a federal crime is a serious matter and a conviction could cost you your freedom along with many of your rights.
Principal attorney Ronald Freeman is well-versed in federal criminal law and highly experienced in trying cases in both state and federal court. Whether advocating before a jury or negotiating with prosecutors, he will work to achieve the best possible outcome for you. Contact our San Berardino office today for a consultation.
Why You Need a Calfornia Federal Criminal Defense Lawyer
Federal criminal charges require an understanding of the federal court system and rules of criminal procedure, which differ greatly from those of California courts. Moreover, a conviction for a federal crime can be more serious than a state-level conviction because of the impact of the federal sentencing guidelines. Our firm handles a wide range of federal crimes, including:
- Drug Crimes — These crimes involve misdemeanor drug possession charges as well as more serious drug trafficking and manufacturing crimes that are classified as felonies.
- Conspiracy — Generally, a conspiracy involves an agreement by two or more people to engage in a crime such as drug trafficking, embezzlement or fraud, and who also act in concert to commit the crime.
- Racketeering (RICO) Violations — Racketeering occurs when organized groups conduct illegal business dealings (“rackets”) and engage in crimes such as bribery, fraud, embezzlement, extortion, money laundering. and others. At the federal level, racketeering charges are prosecuted under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act (RICO).
- Bank and Securities Fraud — These offenses involve defrauding a bank or other financial institution by submitting false documentation to obtain a loan or achieve other financial gains or engaging in unlawful securities schemes that harm investors, financial firms, and the markets.
- Credit Card Fraud — It is unlawful to use a credit card, any similar form of credit, or credit information, to make purchases, withdraw funds from an account, or otherwise obtain financial gain to avoid payment.
- Immigration Crimes — These violations range from illegal entry into the United States to re-entry after deportation, immigration fraud, human trafficking, harboring illegal aliens, and marriage fraud.
- Internet Crimes — These crimes involve a wide range of illegal activities conducted over the internet such as identity theft, hacking, phishing scams, and child pornography.
- Firearms and Weapons Charges — These federal offenses are centered on the possession, use, distribution, and sale of firearms and other deadly weapons, often charged as felonies.
How The Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman Can Help
If you are under a federal criminal investigation, it is crucial to notify us as soon as possible to best protect your rights and your freedom. We will conduct a thorough investigation, examine the prosecution’s evidence (financial statements, documents, emails, surveillance), identify and interview witnesses, and work to uncover weaknesses in the government’s case against you.
Although federal authorities have broad surveillance powers, we will determine if they overstepped and obtained evidence illegally, in which case we will seek a dismissal. Above all, we will work to minimize the impact of the government’s case on your freedom and your reputation.
Federal criminal defense attorney Ronald Freeman has a working knowledge of the federal sentencing guidelines and understands the tactics prosecutors use to push for tough sanctions. In the event of a conviction, he will work to present evidence of mitigating circumstances to obtain a more lenient sentence.
What are federal sentencing guidelines?
The federal sentencing guidelines were originally established by Congress as mandatory, but are now only advisory after a 2005 Supreme Court ruling (U.S. v. Booker) which found mandatory guidelines violated defendants’ rights to a jury trial.
Currently, federal judges are allowed to use discretion when calculating sentences. At the same time, federal prosecutors are well-versed in the federal sentencing guidelines and typically seek the harshest possible penalty. So a conviction for a federal crime can still result in a lengthy prison sentence, substantial fines, a permanent criminal record, and lasting reputational harm.
Trust the Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman to aggressively defend rights and work to protect your freedom and your future.
Contact Our Southern California Federal Criminal Defense Attorney
Being charged with a federal crime requires the powerful representation defense attorney Ronald Freeman provides. Though vast financial and investigative resources give federal prosecutors an unfair advantage over defendants, Ron has the skills and experience to level the playing field. If you have been charged with a federal crime, don’t delay. Contact our office today so we can start working on your case.
The Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman provides federal criminal defense for clients in San Bernardino, Riverside County, and throughout Southern California.