Knowledgeable Lawyer Fights for a Favorable Resolution of Charges
An arrest for a sex crime can come as a shock, followed by disbelief and frustration as you try to defend your reputation. But on top of the initial humiliation, you face severe penalties including prison and the requirement to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. This is a threat you cannot and should not fight alone. At the Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman, I provide steadfast representation for clients accused of sex crimes. I challenge the prosecution’s case point by point to raise doubt about the charges. Often I can introduce evidence that leads to a dismissal of charges or a reduction. But when justice requires going to court, I am prepared to fight on your behalf.
Common Sex Crime Charges in California
The criminalization of sexual activity is usually based on lack of consent, either because a person was forced to submit or, as in the case of a minor, did not have the legal capacity to consent. Other sexual activity, such as prostitution, is illegal even when there is consent because it violates public morals.
Common sex crime charges that I defend against include:
- Rape — Sexual intercourse without consent accomplished by force, fear, coercion, or drugging is generally a felony. Rape can occur between strangers or acquaintances and can occur within a marriage between spouses.
- Statutory rape — Sexual intercourse with a minor between the ages of 14 and 18 is statutory rape, even if the victim is willing, because a minor does not have the legal capacity to consent.
- Sexual battery — Touching an intimate area of another person against their will while they are unlawfully restrained, for the purpose of sexual gratification, is generally a misdemeanor but can be a felony, depending on circumstances.
- Internet child pornography — Downloading, sharing, or creating images of minors being sexually exploited is a felony.
- Prostitution and solicitation — Performing a sexual act to receive money or some other tangible benefit is illegal, as is inducing someone to perform a sex act for money. These offenses are generally misdemeanors, punishable by up to six months in jail. But, penalties for solicitation are more severe when the victim is a minor.
- Pimping, pandering and sex trafficking — Persons who work as middlemen in the sex trade face severe penalties, especially when the victim is a minor. In that case, the sentence can run up to eight years in state prison.
Sex crimes are serious charges that come with brutal consequences for conviction. To protect your rights and fight for a favorable resolution, you need a dedicated attorney with the skill to represent you properly. You can trust the Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman to work tirelessly on your behalf.
Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney to Oppose Sex Charges in Southern California
If you’ve been arrested for a sex crime anywhere in San Bernardino County or Riverside County, the Law Office of Ronald L. Freeman can provide the steadfast representation you need to obtain a favorable outcome. Please call 909-347-7389 or contact me online to schedule a free initial consultation at my San Bernardino or Riverside office.